Author Topic: Poppy Pods?  (Read 3937 times)

Narcoticum

Poppy Pods?
« on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:48 AM »
I know it's not a pharmaceutical, but it's also not a C-I, so I thought why not ask.

I used to order really good poppy pods (Arizona Purples) back in the day.  I loved them.  I loved my vendor, I loved Paypaling for pods.  Get shipment, throw in blender, whir whir buzz buzz grind, throw grounds into hot water with a little bit of lemon juice, let steep, strain, drink.  Good times.

So, yes, when I bought them for the first time online back in 2004, I could get one extra-large Arizona Purple poppy pod for 50 cents.  By the time I stopped ordering in 2008, the price had risen to $2.00 per pod, apparently due to "crop shortages," but more likely because they were becoming more popular and vendors were jacking prices. 

When the AZ farms got shut down in 2010, I understand that the pod scene really changed.  Apparently, there are still pods to be had online, but they're not as good, and they're mega-expensive.  Like $8, $9, $10 per pod.  That's just insane, especially if you had a tolerance.  At one point, I was using 70-75 pods a day.  At $10 per pod, that's a $700-750 a day habit.  Again, that's insane.  It's not feasable.  Granted, that 70-75 / day habit was after MMT, but even still my "normal" amount prior to that was around 40 pods when I wanted to get high, 20-25 pods to maintain.  That's still $200-250 a day just to maintain.  It's just not realistic for most. 

So, anyway, just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good pod vendor with "reasonable" prices?  If so, what's the quality like?  If you've had the AZ purple pods, could you use that as a comparison? 

I Live For The Applause

pier63

Re: Poppy Pods?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
I know it's not a pharmaceutical, but it's also not a C-I, so I thought why not ask.

I used to order really good poppy pods (Arizona Purples) back in the day.  I loved them.  I loved my vendor, I loved Paypaling for pods.  Get shipment, throw in blender, whir whir buzz buzz grind, throw grounds into hot water with a little bit of lemon juice, let steep, strain, drink.  Good times.

So, yes, when I bought them for the first time online back in 2004, I could get one extra-large Arizona Purple poppy pod for 50 cents.  By the time I stopped ordering in 2008, the price had risen to $2.00 per pod, apparently due to "crop shortages," but more likely because they were becoming more popular and vendors were jacking prices. 

When the AZ farms got shut down in 2010, I understand that the pod scene really changed.  Apparently, there are still pods to be had online, but they're not as good, and they're mega-expensive.  Like $8, $9, $10 per pod.  That's just insane, especially if you had a tolerance.  At one point, I was using 70-75 pods a day.  At $10 per pod, that's a $700-750 a day habit.  Again, that's insane.  It's not feasable.  Granted, that 70-75 / day habit was after MMT, but even still my "normal" amount prior to that was around 40 pods when I wanted to get high, 20-25 pods to maintain.  That's still $200-250 a day just to maintain.  It's just not realistic for most. 

So, anyway, just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good pod vendor with "reasonable" prices?  If so, what's the quality like?  If you've had the AZ purple pods, could you use that as a comparison?

they were out of stock waiting for harvest "season" (i guess  in august  )

I have your wish and your same problem ..need a reliable  supplier

long time ago i got it but don't remember the name….maybe driedpoppies, but not sure.
if you will  find something please  let me know
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:21:18 PM by pier63 »

Narcoticum

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:42:58 PM »
^^^^^^^

Do you mean DriedPoppiesDirect?  I think I may have used them once or twice, a long long time ago (years).  Can't speak of them currently, if they're even still around.

This is more of a curiosity more than anything else.  If I were to find a reliable, reasonably-priced vendor, and by that I mean a vendor who doesn't charge ungodly amounts for one pod, I might place an order.  But, really, I'm not in any immediate need to find one.  I'm just interested in knowing if there's still a pod scene.

IMO, 99% of people aren't going to be able to maintain on pods anymore with high-prices like $8+ per pod, unless they have a really low tolerance, and by that I mean 50mg of hydro a day.  Like I said, even to "maintain" for me, back in the day, it was 20-25 extra-large pods.  At $10 per pod today, that's a $200-250 habit today just to maintain on pods.  Yes, people do that with dope (2+ gram a day habits), but it's certainly not cost-effective for most.  But, back then, when they were 50 cents to at most $2 per pod, it was affordable.

I Live For The Applause

starrdust

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:32:36 PM »
I tried poppy tea for the first time last summer, I ordered from a guy in OR, "perfect poppys" I think, let me check,,,,,,looks like that ones gone, but, here's one http://www.poppiesplus.com/orderingpoppies.html     yes , pricey ,I've tried growing them without any luck, Too hot where I live,,good luck
~ Solidarity ~

Narcoticum

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 01:29:56 AM »
I tried poppy tea for the first time last summer, I ordered from a guy in OR, "perfect poppys" I think, let me check,,,,,,looks like that ones gone, but, here's one http://www.poppiesplus.com/orderingpoppies.html     yes , pricey ,I've tried growing them without any luck, Too hot where I live,,good luck

Thanks for the link.  At least that link is more reasonable.  The biggest change I've noticed is that most pods now seems to be sold  by pound / half-pound.  Before, when I was ordering, it was by pod.  I understand that most drugs are sold by weight, but I think it's odd for pods.  Mainly, because pods are sold under the pretense that they're for "floral arrangements."  No florist is going to say they need a pound of pods for an arrangement.  They're going to say they need 10, or 20, etc.  So, by using the whole "we only sell for floral arrangements," then quoting prices in terms of pounds, they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyway, that site seems a little more reasonable.  HAH!  They actually have $2.00 pods, although I bet they're extremely small.  The biggest are $6 per pod, and that's till too expensive.  It's really just not feasable at that price.  It's a shame, because I love pods.  It's amazing to me that the DEA / CIA / whatever just assumed that when they took down the AZ farms (the largest farms), that their pod customers were just going to quit.  Um, no.  Not how it works.  They just drove people to pills and street drugs.  I mean, really, you can't control human behavior.  They're going to do what they're going to do.  The only thing you can do is make it as safe as possible.  But, yeah, good job on cracking-down on a plant pod, and driving people to harder, more dangerous drugs in the criminal sector like the street. 

I've never tried to grow them, but I did have some seeds inadvertently sprout when I emptied some spent seeds into a flower bed.  The problem is that the pods were incredibly small (the same of a small grape).  But, I've heard that a lot from others.  You really have to have skill to get good, massive pods.  It's not that they're hard to grow.  Apparently poppies are like weeds.  Very resilient.  It's growing them the right way, to produce large pods, that's the tricky part.

Thanks for the link though.  Anyone got anymore?  I'm curious.   
I Live For The Applause

biff

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:30:14 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Flounders Field (WW2 memorial place) covered with those flowers?

Hence the red poppy leaf people where in respect to the Veterans every November 11 (I think?) in Canada.
I profoundly believe it takes a lot of practice to become a moral slob.

Narcoticum

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Flounders Field (WW2 memorial place) covered with those flowers?

Hence the red poppy leaf people where in respect to the Veterans every November 11 (I think?) in Canada.

Yes, those are poppies, but a different species of poppy.  Those are corn poppies, sometimes known as field corn poppies.  They're red, but have no morphine.  The species is Papaver Rhoeas.  They're useless for getting high. 

The reason they're associated with Veterans Day is because during WWI, when thousands of dead soldiers were killed and laying in fields in France / Europe, these poppies grew in the fields shortly afterwards.  People said the fields looked like they were covered in blood because of the red poppies growing en masse. 

The species of poppy for our purposes is Papaver Somniferum, Latin for Poppy of the Iron Sleep (Somnus = sleep; fer(um) = iron).  The main alkaloid in the latex of the poppy, which is also known as opium (opium is just Latin for juice, particularly the juice of the opium poppy; in Greek it's opion), is morphine. 

There are a lot of other alkaloids in opium, too.  Codeine, Papaverine, Noscapine, Narcotein, Thebaine, to name a few.  Pharm companies sometimes use a genetically altered poppy that is extremely high in Thebaine, but low in morphine, because they can use the thebaine to manufacture oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, etc.  It's sort of like a precursor chemical. 

In fact, even if they use traditional "morphine" poppies, most of the world's morphine supply is either methylated into methylmorphine (i.e., codeine), or the other popular pharm opioids, like oxycodone.

The other use for these poppies (the Somniferum poppy) is for culinary purposes.  Everytime you eat a poppy seed bagel, it's papaver somniferum seeds.  That's why papaver somniferum is also sometimes known as the "breadseed" poppy.  Or, in floral decorations, where it's known as the "florist's poppy."   
I Live For The Applause

starrdust

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:41:56 PM »
I'm sure you know you can buy poppy seeds at the grocery store in the spice selection, buy the organic brand, I tried them didn't really care for it , just made me feel kind of sick,

"The war on everything is a miserable FAIL for the people but a Success  for the rich",
~ Solidarity ~

GG258

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »

when they took down the AZ farms (the largest farms), that their pod customers were just going to quit.  Um, no.  Not how it works.  They just drove people to pills and street drugs.  I mean, really, you can't control human behavior.  They're going to do what they're going to do.  The only thing you can do is make it as safe as possible.  But, yeah, good job on cracking-down on a plant pod, and driving people to harder, more dangerous drugs in the criminal sector like the street. 

Similar thing happened here around the summer or 2010 when they reformulated contin and the OPs started coming out. Most people transitioned to H and now we have way more overdoses. It's true that a small amount of people had already transitioned, those that were already familiar with foil, for the cheaper price of H. I think it was in 2011 or 2012 that we had the most ODs per capita due to opiates. I'd have to look it up but I remember reading about it in the local paper. I wish I could help you but the only thing I had that was similar at least in name was California poppy. They sell it here but I don't think that even compares to what your talking about because it had no effects really.
Life needs to be Handled, or it will Handle YOU

pier63

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
^^^^^^^

Do you mean DriedPoppiesDirect?  I think I may have used them once or twice, a long long time ago (years).  Can't speak of them currently, if they're even still around.

This is more of a curiosity more than anything else.  If I were to find a reliable, reasonably-priced vendor, and by that I mean a vendor who doesn't charge ungodly amounts for one pod, I might place an order.  But, really, I'm not in any immediate need to find one.  I'm just interested in knowing if there's still a pod scene.

IMO, 99% of people aren't going to be able to maintain on pods anymore with high-prices like $8+ per pod, unless they have a really low tolerance, and by that I mean 50mg of hydro a day.  Like I said, even to "maintain" for me, back in the day, it was 20-25 extra-large pods.  At $10 per pod today, that's a $200-250 habit today just to maintain on pods.  Yes, people do that with dope (2+ gram a day habits), but it's certainly not cost-effective for most.  But, back then, when they were 50 cents to at most $2 per pod, it was affordable.

…i mean      driedpoppies.com  8)

Grandote

• Grand PooBah
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
Just grow your own, there are plenty of guides on the net. Its not too late to get a crop in this year depending on where you are. In hot climates they plant in late fall and harvest in spring. You normally plant in spring in cold climates but you can do it in spring in hot ones too. Look on ebay or amazon they have deals on seeds. Mccormack brand is said to be very good found in grocery stores.

The stems and leaves have active ingredients too so don't think its just the pods. You can make tea by boiling them in water perhaps with a little lemon juice to get out more actives. People have even reused the leaves and pods for a second pot of tea though it gets weaker each time of course.

I never was a big fan of it, i don't care for opiates and don't want to get hooked. I have a jar of powdered pods that has sat there for a few years. I may use it one day. IMO the smaller pods may give more bang for the buck than the big ones. Write and ask a few vendors if they will sell you the poppy straw. If they are resellers they won't but if its a farmer they will be happy to do it and you will get a great bang for the buck. A lb of straw = perhaps 1/2 lb of pods though i'm not totally sure. The roots even have a little bit in them.

Narcoticum

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
I'm sure you know you can buy poppy seeds at the grocery store in the spice selection, buy the organic brand, I tried them didn't really care for it , just made me feel kind of sick,

"The war on everything is a miserable FAIL for the people but a Success  for the rich",

Yes, I'm quite familiar with buying seeds in grocery stores.  You have to know what you're looking for, though, because not all will work.  Some have been too processed / washed, and they're useless.  Once you find good seeds, though, you just add your required amount into an empty container, like a gallon-sized water jug, fill with water until the water covers the seeds by a couple of inches, then put the cap on and shake the hell out of it.  Keep doing it for about 15 mins. or so, and when done siphon off the water.  Poppy Seed Tea.  Not nearly as good as Poppy Pod Tea, but it works in a pinch.  It's all about the seeds, though.  Also, if you do this, use cold water, as seeds have a lot of oil in them.  If you use hot water, or even warm water and let it sit for a long time, the tea becomes oily.  It's quite gross.  So, just use cold water.  This is a very useful trick if you're in w/d and can't get anything else.  At the most it will get you high.  At the least it will keep you well.  IF you have good, viable seeds.  Again, not all poppy seeds will work because they've been too washed / processed.

Grandnote: I'm not really wanting to order.  It's not like I "need" to order or anything.  This is just more of a curiosity, as I've not ordered pods in years and I'd like to know if there is still a decent pod scene.  My guess would be yes, there's till a scene, but not like prior to '10. 

I've thought about growing, but I've not.  One of these days, though, I'm going to get up the nerve and buy some terra cotta pots, some bags of Miracle Grow, and some good seeds and just try to grow a couple plants.

I know that you can plant in spring, but everything I've read said that in order to get a decent sized pod, you really should plant in the fall, so the root systems can develop, and the plant sort of hibernates in the winter, then come spring, they will bolt like crazy.  You don't have to do that, but it seems like people get bigger pods that way, as opposed to planting in early spring. 

Fall planting = bigger pods; spring planting = smaller pods. 

Granted, I've never talked to any farmers, just vendors, but I would guess it would be more risk for the farmers to sell "poppy straw / ground up pods and stems" as opposed to intact pods, because with the intact pods, they could say it's for floral arrangements, whereas with "straw" it's kind of known that it's for concentration of alkaloids.  I know that "poppy straw" is a scheduled C-II, and while pods are technically scheduled as a C-II too, they are in somewhat of a grey area because you can use them for other, legal purposes, like in floral arrangements. 
I Live For The Applause

Narcoticum

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
I waited too long to edit the previous post.  So, sorry for the double-post faux pas. 

Anyway, thanks for the information, advice, and links.  I should have said that individually to Stardust, Grandnote, etc.  I've been doing this for years, the pod thing I mean, so I do know a thing or two, but obviously I'm human and I make mistakes and I'm not perfect and I'm not all-knowing.  No one is.  So, I didn't mean to imply that I'm not grateful for the info, or that I know everything, because I don't. 

Anyhoo, thanks for the new link, Pier63.  I'll check it out.  Keep 'em coming :-)

I Live For The Applause

Grandote

• Grand PooBah
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
Narcoticum, that is a good tip on using the seeds. Google poppy seed tea and you will find all sorts of stories. I suggest after washing them, plant the seeds. At the very worst nothing will happen and at best, you get a crop.

Poppies will die in really harsh winters, mulching them will help. They can freeze and come back but it depends how cold the winter is. True that you get bigger pods planting in the fall which is the best time in warm climes. The plants never die and get really big in the spring and summer. I'm just saying i planted in spring and got a crop. A small crop is better than no crop or having to wait a year to harvest. If you anticipate a mild winter with only a little snow plant in the fall and again in the spring. The plants will naturally drop seeds for the next crop if you let them get that far.

Do not lance the pods and scrape the dried sap. Yes, that's how they do it in the far east but its very labor intensive. Add the fact that if a cop sees the lanced pods he knows or may know what you are doing. Being caught in the act of lancing has lead to arrests a few times i've heard of. Just go out when they are ripe and nodding and harvest the pods perhaps leaving a few small ones for the next crop. When the plants are done, harvest the rest of it. You will leave behind the bulk of the goodies if you just take the pods.

Pods must be dried asap! Mold is your biggest enemy. I would put them in front of a fan spread out on newspaper. Turn them every day until they are hard as a rock. Then later do the same with the stems and leaves. If you want every scrap then pull up the roots too though its a lot of work cleaning them and drying.

Order of actives from most to least

1. pods
2. stems just under the pods
3. leaves
4. large stems
5. roots

If someone ordered a few times from a grower to build a relationship then perhaps if they asked for leaves and stems for decoration you might get somewhere. They know about intent but they have tons of stem and leaf going to waste. Its just a matter of how much work it is to harvest it. But its a free second harvest so if i was a farmer i would seriously consider it.

Grandote

• Grand PooBah
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »
What i would suggest if you were thinking about going the seed tea route is to write the vendor and ask if they are "natural" or super clean. Say you like things natural. Of course you say nothing about sap or alkaloids, just say you think natural is best for planting.